BUILDING MAINTENANCE MECHANIC
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
This work involves the repair and maintenance of buildings, grounds and equipment. The work performed is of a general mechanical nature and may include masonry, carpentry, painting, plumbing, heating or electrical maintenance or repair. The work may also involve the operation and routine maintenance of motor vehicles or other machinery and equipment. Although employees of this class, because of individual training or experience, generally devote a greater part of their time to a particular specialized field, are required to work in various mechanical fields as the occasion demands. Employees work under general supervision allowing for the exercise of independent judgment in carrying out the details of the work. Direct supervision may be exercised over the work of laborers or other subordinate employees. Does related work as required.
Typical Work Activities (illustrative only):
- Cleans, maintains and makes repairs to boilers, pumps, heaters, piping, valves, traps, compressor motors and generators;
- Builds and/or installs cabinets, shelves, doors, paneling, flooring, windows and locks;
- Installs and repairs plumbing fixtures such as sinks, toilets and showers;
- Operates and/or performs minor repairs to motor vehicles and other motorized equipment;
- Repairs windows, doors, floor, walls, furniture, roofs, projectors, screens, and sprinklers;
- Performs masonry duties such as mixing plaster and concrete, laying brick or blocks, preparing forms and pouring concrete;
- Prepares surfaces and paints exteriors and interiors of buildings and structures;
- Performs general grounds maintenance activities;
- May supervise the work of Laborers or other subordinates.
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
Thorough knowledge of the practices, processes, materials and tools of the principal trade in which the experience has been gained; good knowledge of modern buildings and grounds maintenance and repair practices; good knowledge of the operation and maintenance of heating and ventilating equipment; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions; mechanical aptitude; manual dexterity; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Four years of experience in general building maintenance, heavy construction, or building trades work; or
- One year of experience as a journeyman in one of the recognized skilled trades; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (a) and (b) above
For consideration, email email@example.com with the corresponding job title as the subject line.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and the names and numbers of 3 professional references.
Deadline to apply is October 10, 2014.