- Student Life Home
- Clubs and Organizations
- Student Activities
- Student Handbook
- Student Senate
- This Week at SUNY Adirondack
- Visual Arts Gallery
- Student Housing
- Fitness Center
- Tobacco Free
- Orientation Information
Career Planning / Choosing a Major
What is career planning?
Career planning provides the opportunity to assess skills, abilities, and interests. Throughout this continuous process you will be assisted with choosing a major, setting long and short term goals, and planning a career path that is right for you.
Some of the career planning services offered by Career Services include:
- Individual career counseling
- Interest and personality inventories including the Strong Interest Inventory, Self-Directed Search and the Myers Briggs Type Indicator
- Introduction to FOCUS2, a password-protected website providing online self-exploration, occupational information, and job search activities
- E-mail based mentoring with alumni and other professionals
- Public Service Internship-opportunity to earn college credit for community service
- A career/transfer library with print information about occupations, job search skills and college transfer opportunities
FOCUS2 can be accessed here: https://www.focuscareer2.com/portal/login.cfm?SID=995
SUNY Adirondack offers two one-credit courses related to career decision-making and the job search.
HRD 101 Career Exploration- this course is for the student who is undecided about his/her occupational choice. This course includes interest tests, values clarification and career information
HRD 104 Job Search Skills- topics will include job search, resume and cover letter, and the interview process
SUNY Adirondack and the Career Services Office strongly encourage and support student volunteer service. Information about community service opportunities is available.
PSC 190 Public Service Internship- this will offer students an opportunity to earn credit for volunteer experiences in a community service or political organization. These experiences are integrated with theoretical information on public policy, discussions of societal issues and career exploration
PLEASE VISIT OUR ADDITIONAL RESOURCES PAGE FOR USEFUL LINKS AND INFORMATION REGARDING CAREER PLANNING.