POSITION TITLE: Budget Analyst
DEPARTMENT: Administrative Services
FUNCTION: Reports to the Vice President for Administrative Services. Coordinates and prepares the College budget, ensures adequate budgetary controls are in place and functioning, and provides timely financial information for internal and external use.
Analyze and compile information concerning the College budget (including operating, capital and grants) to include analysis of institutional income and expenses and development of budget forecast models. Prepare, monitor and reconcile accounts and provide financial reporting including proposed budgets and budget to actual analysis. Review, monitor and process approved changes to budgets and ensure revenues and expenses are coded correctly. Work with budget managers in planning and implementing budgets and provide assistance and information in budget development, reconciliation and training. Ensure that proper budgetary controls are in place and working appropriately; implement new controls and processes as needed.
- Prepare the College’s operating, capital and grant-related budgets at both the detailed account code and executive summary level. Assist the Vice President in presenting the budgets to various stakeholders including College personnel, students, the Audit and Finance Committee and Board of Trustees, the County Boards of Supervisors, SUNY and other relevant parties.
- Coordinate the timeline and process for preparing various College budgets, including the operating budget, capital budget and any grants. Schedule budget planning meetings and present budget process information and training. Work in consultation with College departments providing direction and guidance in the preparation of their budget requests; monitor input for accuracy.
- Prepare monthly budget to actual analysis and year-end forecasts in conjunction with the Director of Financial Services for presentation to the Vice President for Administrative Services and the Audit and the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Serve as liaison to budget managers and provide customer service assisting with general budget, system, and reporting related questions. Perform budget adjustments, and identify, research, and resolve discrepancies. Provide cost accounting analyses for budget managers needing profit and loss account information. Prepare comprehensive financial reports and summaries for analysis and inform appropriate budget managers about budgetary issues; work with them to install and review proper budgetary controls including the use of encumbrances.
- Complete internal and external budget related reports in collaboration with various College departments.
- Ensure that budget operations comply with internal and external policies, procedures and regulations. Perform internal audits for procedural accuracy and proper coding and documentation. Make recommendations and implement procedures to ensure compliance with established policies and external regulations and minimize potential exposure to the College.
- Participate in the establishment, monitoring and reconciliation of the College staffing tables and labor budget; review and approve personnel requisition requests and other documents to verify that budgets are available; participate in the Faculty Load and Compensation process each semester; Monitor labor budgets, encumbrances and year to date actuals on a monthly basis and analyze any discrepancies. Interpret policies and contracts and make recommendations regarding staff/administration and faculty appointments as they relate to budget.
- Prepare the college's three and five year budget forecasts; recommend changes and formulate future budget scenarios.
- Develop, prepare, analyze, and correct detailed reports in such areas as salaries, benefits, monthly budget to actual reporting and other special budgeted accounts; review, monitor, and approve capital expenditures noting budget approval, changes, substitutions, and additions to same. Monitor the tracking and balancing of large projects in collaboration with Financial Services, Office of Facilities, Information Technology Services and other departments and provide and present reports to responsible parties as requested.
- Serve as an active member of various College wide committees as assigned and attend other meetings as requested by the Vice President of Administrative Services.
- Ensure confidentiality of records, information and materials associated with the Budget Office and update and maintain the Budget department web page.
Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or business administration and a minimum of 3 years related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience; Master’s degree preferred; demonstrated knowledge of fiscal analysis, budget preparation and analytical processing skills; knowledge of accounting concepts including profit and loss statements and statistical functions; strong analytical, organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, ability to work independently and in a team environment, and extensive working knowledge of various spreadsheet and database software applications are required. Experience working with an on-line financial management information system, human resources information system, and budget information system is preferred. Community college experience and proficient use of the BANNER by Ellucian ERP system strongly preferred.
For consideration, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the corresponding job title as the subject line. Please include a cover letter, resume, and the names and numbers of 3 professional references.
Deadline to apply is March 30, 2015.
SUNY Adirondack values diversity and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer