This 20-hour per week is part of a federally funded grant program designed to assist eligible 9th-12th grade students to develop the skills and motivation necessary to graduate from high school, enter and succeed in higher education. Upward Bound serves: high school students from income-eligible families and from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor degree.
The Academic Specialist will be responsible to:
· Develop and deliver workshops for students on topics related to academic success, SAT Preparation, NYS Regents’ Test Preparation, and college preparation topics.
· Plan and administer study groups for students to encourage academic success.
· Develop supplemental instruction and tutoring curriculum that addresses areas of student learning and complements target high school classroom curriculum.
· Coordinate and conduct in-school visit meetings with students, working with students on academic skill building and college preparation. Work closely with target school personnel to ensure appropriateness of educational and student services.
· Maintain student application files, communicate with students and parents to encourage timely fulfillment of admissions process, and process all related admissions paperwork
· Communicate with students, families, campus and community; including: write and publish program newsletter, and maintain program’s BLUMEN database.
· Other duties to support the program as assigned.
Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
Qualifications: Bachelor degree in education or related field. Preferred knowledge of curriculum design and standardized testing. Familiarity with New York State educational requirements. Demonstrated knowledge, ability, and sensitivity to work with, teach, and counsel students who have been traditionally underrepresented and “at-risk”.
Salary: $13-$17 per hour depending on qualifications and experience
For consideration, email email@example.com with the corresponding job title as the subject line. Please include a cover letter (that includes the topic for instruction for an elective course), resume and the names, numbers and email addresses of 3 professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. Anticipated start date 11/6/15
SUNY Adirondack values diversity and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer