Veteran's FAQ

Q)      How many credits are considered FULL TIME in the SUMMER?

A) The VA will pay benefits based on the VA Credit Hour Equivalency Chart   The number of credits that count as full time is dependent on the number of weeks the course is offered.  Look at their table to determine what is considered full time or some fraction thereof.  For a more specific calculation, use this Credit Equivalency Calculator.

Q)     Will my books be covered under the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill?

A)     The VA pays an annual books & supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment. This money will be made available to students when the VA sends the first housing stipend (BAH).  Please note that students are expected to pay for books out of pocket, since the VA funds do not arrive until after classes begin.

Q)     How does the housing stipend (BAH) work under the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill?

A)     Students are awarded a monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. For those enrolled solely in distance learning the housing allowance payable is equal to ½ the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents.  If you are on active duty you will not receive the housing allowance or books & supplies stipend. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

In order to be considered full time for BAH purposes:

  • For a 3 week term (our Winter session): must be enrolled in 3 or more credit hours.
  • For a 6 week term (our First Half or Second Half Summer session): must be enrolled in 4 or more credit hours.
  • For an 8 week term (our 8 Week Summer session): must be enrolled in 6 or more credit hours.
  • For an 11 week term (our Full term Summer session): must be enrolled in 8 or more credit hours.
  • For Fall and Spring semesters: must be enrolled in 12 or more credit hours. *Please note, the 12 credits must be for the entire semester.  If you take a course that ends prior to the full semester, you will be considered below full time according to the VA Semester Hour Equivalency Table

Q)     What happens to my VA benefits if I withdraw from classes?

A)     If your enrollment status changes, the VA will bill you for any overpayments made.

Q)     Will the VA pay for me to repeat a course?

A)     The VA will only cover courses that are being repeated to replace a failing grade or for which the grade does not meet minimum grade requirements for graduation.

Q)     I haven’t received my monthly stipend from the VA?

A)     Stop by the Registrar's Office counter to see if your VA benefits have been certified.  If so, you can contact the VA Regional Office in Buffalo at 1-888-442-4551, select option 1 and then option 0 to check on the status of your claim.  Please note that VA processing times vary and it could take up to 12 weeks for your claim to be processed.

close X