Veterans Resource Center

College application checklist

1. Submit a SUNY Adirondack application.

2. Submit your official high school transcript or GED/TASC to the Admissions Office. College and military transcripts should be forwarded to the Registrar's Office.

3. Attend an Accepted Student Day where you will register for classes.


Get your college military benefits

Step 1: File for your benefits

  • See our New York State Division of Veterans Affairs Benefits Advisor on Campus at the Randles Resource Center.

Step 2: Submit the following forms to SUNY Adirondack’s Registrar’s Office

  • Member 4 copy of the DD214 or the Form 2284 NOBE. (To access your military service records, go to
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Education Benefits (Needed for first-time college students only.)
  • Change of Program or Place of Training VA Form 22-1995 (Needed for transfer students only.)
  • Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certificate of Status - VAF 28-1905 (needed for Vocational Rehabilitation students only.)

Step 3: File for Financial Aid

  • Go to and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application.
  • Go to and file for state grants with the Express TAP Application  (ETA) and Supplemental Veteran Scholarships.

Extra help for students

  • The SUNY Adirondack Certification Officer in the Registrar’s Office, located in Warren Hall, will certify you for your benefits.
  • SUNY Adirondack’s Admissions Office in Warren Hall will answer questions about degree programs and enrollment procedures.
  • The Accessibility Service Director, located in Warren Hall, Room 104, will help with support for disabilities.
  • SUNY Adirondack’s Director of Financial Aid is available to answer questions about State and Federal AID available beyond your VA benefits. The office is in Warren Hall, Room 106.
  • SUNY Adirondack’s Counseling and Transfer Services Office can help you plan your academic career and cope with the demands of college. Look for them in Warren Hall, Room 117.
  • The Center for Reading and Writing – located in the Scoville Learning Center – provides free feedback on your papers and help with reading and writing.
  • The Math Lab in the Scoville Learning Center offers free tutoring for math classes.

Helpful Phone Numbers

Admissions: 518.743.2264
Registrar’s Office: 518.743.2280
VA Counselor: 518.832.7744
Counseling and Transfer Career Services: 518.743.2278
Financial Aid: 518.743.2223
Accessibility Services: 518.743.2282
Veteran Point of Contact (Yasmin Lopez, Assistant Director of Community Connections ): 518.743.2200, Ext. 2449; email:

Related Links

With a Veterans Resource Center right on campus, SUNY Adirondack supports America’s military heroes with valuable services for college success and beyond.

In addition to helping veterans navigate college admissions and financial aid, our veterans benefits advisor offers:

  • assistance for legally blind wartime veterans
  • financial assistance for burial and plot expenses
  • disability benefits counseling
  • educational and financial assistance for some children, spouses, widows and widowers
  • employment and training help
  • health care assistance
  • low-interest mortgage program information
  • pension benefit assistance
  • property tax aid
  • aid for wartime veterans and non-remarried surviving spouses, including financial assistance for long-term care facilities, nursing homes or in-home care
  • survivors’ benefits filings
  • vocational rehabilitation aid

Fast Facts

  • Only 15% of Student Veterans are traditionally aged college students. Most Student Veterans are between the ages of 24 and 40.
  • Around 27% of Student Veterans are women.
  • 47% of Student Veterans have children.
  • 48% of Student Veterans are married.
  • 62% of Student Veterans are first-generation students.

Did you know?

Veterans who are not New York State residents can attend State University of New York or City University of New York colleges on the G.I. Bill® and still receive in-state tuition.

Just for Veterans

A New York State Division of Veterans Affairs Benefit Advisor is available for counseling, support and problem-solving with military status or benefits. Go to the Randles Veterans Resource Center adjacent to the Student Center or call 518.832-7744.

A SUNY Adirondack Counselor provides support to Veterans and advises the Veterans Club. The Counseling Office, in Washington Hall, can be reached at 518.743.2278. The Veterans Club meets during the activity period on Mondays during the fall and spring semesters.