Government financial aid

State and federal government agencies help students pay for college through grants and loans. The first step in applying for government-funded Financial Aid is to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.

Here's how to get started:


1. Create an FSA ID.
An FSA ID is used as your electronic signature for all federal aid documents.
You will need an FSA ID to electronically sign and submit a FAFSA form, and to make any needed corrections later.  If you are a dependent student, your parent or guardian will need his or her own FSA ID, too. This FSA ID is also used to process your federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Your parent/guardian will need their FSA ID if they intend to borrow a PLUS loan.

2. Complete your FAFSA with school code 002860.

3. Complete your TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) application with school code 2000  if you have lived in New York state longer than one year. (There is a direct link at the end of the FAFSA application.)

NOTE: If you would like your aid to appear on your bill, please complete the FAFSA and TAP applications by the priority filing dates (no later than June 1 if starting in the fall semester, Dec. 1 if starting in a spring semester.) 



More information about government aid

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for financial aid from the federal government and SUNY Adirondack. Completing the FAFSA will qualify you for grants, scholarships, work-study and loans.

All applications must be completed correctly and in a timely manner. The FAFSA can take up to four weeks with a printed signature page and three to five business days if a student and parent sign using a federal PIN number.

SUNY Adirondack's Financial Aid Office uses the FAFSA results to determine eligibility for various financial aid programs and prepares a financial aid award letter that offers an award or combination of awards to the student. The total amount of financial aid a student receives is referred to as a Financial Aid Packet.

Federal Pell Grant

  • FAFSA determines eligibility;
  • Does not need to be repaid;
  • Earned — prorated for those enrolled in fewer than 12-credits (full time);
  • Limited to two full-time awards/years (using in the summer will reduce the available amount for the following spring term);
  • Lifetime eligibility maximum of 12 full-time awards in pursuit of first bachelor’s degree

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

  • Must be eligible for Pell Grant;
  • Does not need to be repaid;
  • Earned — prorated for those enrolled in fewer than 12 credits (full time);
  • Funds are limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Grant

  • Does not need to be repaid;
  • Available to all qualifying students taking 6 or more credits/semester;
  • Awards range from $500 to $5,665/year or up to tuition, whichever is less;
  • Maximum of six full-time awards in pursuit of an associate degree

NYS Part-Time Scholarship

  • For residents of New York state; must have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months before the beginning of the term;
  • Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • Must have have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma, or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department;
  • Must be matriculated in an approved undergraduate program at a SUNY or CUNY community college;
  • Must be enrolled in at least six but fewer than 12 credits per term;
  • Must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher;
  • Must be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any NYS award; and
  • be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a NYS award

*Your transcript will be needed to complete the application

A recipient of a PTS Award will receive an award that covers the cost of six credit hours or $1,500 per term, whichever is less, at a SUNY or CUNY community college. An award recipient is entitled to award payments for not more than four consecutive academic semesters.

Note: Any award payment received may have tax implications. Any questions regarding this should be directed to a tax professional, the Internal Revenue Service or NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.

New York State Aid for Part Time Study (APTS) Grant

  • Does not need to be repaid;
  • Must be enrolled part time, between six and 11 credits/semester;
  • Awards range from $1,000 to $2,000/year;
  • Must meet income eligibility limitations;
  • Must not have exhausted TAP eligibility

Requirements for Financial Aid include:

  • U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizens. (Foreign students may apply only for SUNY Adirondack scholarships).
  • High school diploma or GED.
  • Matriculation in a degree or certification program.
  • Enrolled in at least 6 semester credits. (Note: Only federal Pell grants are available to less-than-half-time students).
  • Can’t be in default of any federal student loan nor owe a refund on a federal grant.


New York is now home to the nation's first accessible college program, The Excelsior Scholarship.

More than 940,000 middle-class families and individuals making up to $125,000 per year qualify to attend college tuition-free at all CUNY and SUNY two- and four-year colleges in New York state. 

In New York state, every child will have the opportunity that education provides.

Get more information on The Excelsior Scholarship.

When do I need to apply for financial aid?

The first day you can submit the national FAFSA form is Oct. 1 of the year before you plan to go to college. Plan to file the FAFSA as soon as possible because financial aid dollars are limited and, in many cases, are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

To have financial aid in place before the bill due date, SUNY Adirondack students should file by June 1 for fall semester and Dec. 1 for spring semester.

Be sure to read all materials thoroughly and respond to all requests for additional information.

If you have any questions, reach out to the SUNY Adirondack Financial Aid office.

What does the Financial Aid office need from me?

To process your request, the Financial Aid office will review the following:

  • SUNY application for admission: Only matriculated students qualify for financial aid. Matriculated means you applied for admission to SUNY Adirondack, was accepted and are enrolled in classes required for a SUNY Adirondack degree or certificate program. Apply.
  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): To receive federal grants, loans or work-study opportunities, you must complete the FAFSA annually. New York state also requires completion of a valid FAFSA prior to a student’s application for state grants and scholarships.
  • Express TAP Application: The ETA is used to determine eligibility for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). TAP is limited to full-time (12 or more credits required for a SUNY Adirondack degree or certificate program) students; however, part-time students registered with the College’s Accessibility Services Office are encouraged to inquire about their individual eligibility under ADA guidelines.

What do I need to do to maintain financial aid?

The U.S. Department of Education and New York state award financial aid to assist students and families in meeting the cost of a college education. Students, however, must meet certain expectations, called Satisfactory Academic Progress, to receive those awards. Federal regulations require all schools to review financial aid applicants at least once during an aid year before the award and payment of federal funds (grants, loans and work-study). Students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average, factoring in the number of credit hours attempted.

New York state aid, including grants and scholarships, requires students to meet established criteria for academic progress and pursuit of program. If you do not meet the minimum requirements, you will be ineligible to receive a state award.

Learn more about Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements at SUNY Adirondack.

A student may appeal the loss of state aid eligibility if the required New York state progress or pursuit standards are not met.​ Per regulation, we are required to use the chart put forth by Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) to determine eligibility for NYS awards.

Only one waiver can be granted during undergraduate studies. The student must document there were extraordinary circumstances such as a family death, crisis or medical situation which prevented the student from meeting the standards.​​

Tips to avoid loss of federal financial aid:

  • Minimize the number of unsuccessful credits (grades of F, W, U, X or I)
  • Know how your GPA compares to federal Financial Aid minimums
  • Never withdraw from a class without talking to a Financial Aid advisor
  • Become familiar with all federal regulations related to academic pursuit (See the College Catalog for expanded information)
  • Don’t change your major more than four times while attending SUNY Adirondack


There are two types of Federal Direct Loans, subsidized and unsubsidized. Subsidized federal loans require students take a minimum of six credits a semester. The government pays on interest while enrolled, based on financial need as determined by FAFSA. In unsubsidized federal loans, interest begins accruing from the time of first disbursement. 

First-Year Undergraduate (0-27 credits)


No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.


No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.

Second-Year Undergraduate (28 or more credits)


No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.


No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.

Subsidized and Unsubsidized Aggregate Loan Limit


No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.


(for undergraduates) No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.











2021-22 Interest Rate = 3.73 percent

  • Government pays the interest while enrolled, based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA
  • $3,500/year maximum for those with 0-27 earned college credits
  • $4,500/year maximum for those with 28+ earned college credits


2021-22 Interest Rate = 3.73 percent

  • Interest begins accruing from first disbursement
  • $2,000/year maximum for dependent students
  • $6,000/year maximum for independent students or dependent students whose parents are denied a federal Parent PLUS Loan
  • Must be enrolled in at least six credits/semester to be eligible
  • No repayment during enrollment; six-month grace period before repayment begins

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

2021-22 Interest Rate = 6.28 percent

    • Student must be a dependent student who is enrolled at least half-time (six credit hours)
    • Parent must be the biological or adoptive parent of the student for whom they are borrowing
    • Parent cannot have an adverse credit history (a credit check will be done)
    • Both the parent and student must not be in default on any federal education loans or owe an overpayment on a federal education grant
    • Both the parent and student must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens

    FAFSA overview